The central purpose of this site is to connect workers who are interested in joining a labor union with labor unions that are interested in organizing more members.
I proudly provide relevant information and assistance to all who are interested in receiving the benefits of collective bargaining and learning more about joining a labor union. Contact me in regards to all of your labor-related questions. My goal is to provide accurate information to the best of my abilities and, if ever I believe I may be able to respond knowledgeably to a question, I will work to locate another pro-worker organization to ensure that you always receive the most informed response.
Sounds Great and All, but Who am I
I'm Dustin (UnionGuy) and I received my introduction to labor unions when I began working for UPS in 1997. As a member of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 542, I began to understand the union advantage. I learned that, thanks to my union membership, I had safer working conditions, the ability to take adequate breaks, good wages and benefits. Since then, I continued to learn more about the labor movement and attended the National Labor College (NLC). where I earned an Associate Degree. Prior to its closure in 2014, the NLC was a one of a kind institution, founded by the AFL-CIO to serve the higher education needs and interests of members of the labor movement. It was the only college in the United States with an exclusive mission to serve the educational needs of the labor movement. Now as a union member employed at a healthcare organization for more than 25 years, I continue to appreciate the advantages of union membership every day. Some of the ways that, through the years, I have been a strong advocate for the labor movement and worked to promote union values include:
- As a union steward, I utilized my resources to assist fellow union members with issue resolution and served as an elected member of the contract negotiating team in addition to several committees such as the Labor Management Partnership Committee and Communications Committee.
- I ‘Buy Union’ when possible and boycott when necessary (never set foot inside a unionized grocery store during the 2003 - 2004 strike and illegal lockout).
- In addition to regularly participating in online union campaigns, I have picketed the Walmart on Murphy Canyon Road with members of the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 135 during their ‘WakeUpWalmart’ campaign.
- I have provided support to members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) Local 683 who were on strike to get a first contract at a Coke facility in Oceanside, California.
- I canvassed San Diego County and collected union authorization cards from nearly 100 security officers employed by Securitas to aid in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 1877 (now SEIU-USWW) that resulted in a successful organizing drive.
- I have worked as a volunteer organizer with the National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) during a campaign to organize EVS workers in healthcare offices into their union.
Now that you know more about me, how can I help you?
Create Your Own Website With Webador